A brief History
NORMANDOUX / The Manor
Mentioned for the first time in 1260, the lordship of Normandoux, the largest kingdom of Tercé, was part of the barony of Morthemer and belonged to the barons of the region, who were best known as The Barons of Normandoux.
This barony was owned by the Taveau family from the beginning of the 15th Century until the end of the 17th. In 1869 the Baron of Soubeyran, whose family already owned 1500 hectares of land between Tercé and Morthemer, bought the whole estate - the manor and surrounding lands.
The Manor of Normandoux still boasts a beautiful tower with a spiral staircase, which is on the South Wall. On the North facade can still be seen the lovely doorways, dating from the 16th and 17th centuries.
At the end of the 19th Century, extensive buildings, barns and stables were erected to house the horses which were used to work in the nearby quarry.
NORMANDOUX / The Quarries
The original quarry, 150m west of the Manor, first came into operation around 1820.
Between 1851 and 1856 Pierre Deslandes, who rented land from the owner of Normandoux, opened a new quarry. In 1863 he renewed the lease on the plot known as ' the old wells of. Normandoux'), which referred to an old covered well on the rented land).
This quarry was situated 300 metres from the Manor, to the north of the Tercé-Saint Julien l'Ars road.
In 1861, Cadet-Simon Desmazeau acquired a plot of land on the northern border of Pierre Deslandes' quarry and here opened a third quarry between 1862 and 1866. He also had a house, with cellar, wells and annexes built nearby in 1872, which he named 'The Hermitage'.
Baron Jean-Marie Georges of Soubeyran bought the domain of Normandoux in 1869 and took over the operation of Deslandes' quarry.
The Deputy Governor of the Credit Foncier de France ( the government controlled building society), who was also Mayor of Morthemer, and a wise businessman, injected new life into the quarry and the commune of Tercé, and instigated an economic upturn.
Since then, Normandoux has always been at the forefront of progress. Between 1885 and 1939 the estate even owned its own railway line, which ran to the station at Jardres.
In 1876, Baron de Soubeyran rented out the quarry to Decle-Vauzelle, the Mayor of Neuville, who then surrendered his rights to the Poitou Union of Quarries, which later became Civet-Pommier, then Rocamat.
The estate and quarries of Normandoux, including that of Desmazeau, was bought in 1894 by Henri Sechet, lawyer at the Grand Court of Justice in Poitiers. Before World War II, the heirs gave away the property to the Quarries Society of Charente and Poitou.